Sunday, September 9, 2012

White Coat Ceremony

Now it finally feels real.  As soon as I got the white coat, I truly felt like I was in medical school and that eventually, if I put in enough hard work, I would make it.  It used to seem like I was endlessly trudging towards an unobtainable goal.  Now I know it will happen!

The white coat ceremony was a very nice affair.  We had the Prime Minster, the President as well as some of the other Ministers of Dominica as well as high-up representatives from the school.  My favorite part of the ceremony (besides getting the actual coat) was when the honor guard came marching in to pick up the flags without any sort of warning.  We were all sitting there and then BAM, six military personnel came walking in with guns.  It kinda freaked me out at first until I realized what they were doing.  I also really enjoyed hearing Dominica's national anthem being sung.
Getting my white coat!



My Dad made it down for the White Coat which I really appreciated.  Since it was such a major day, I loved the fact that he was there supporting me.  He ended up staying for a week and bought me some much needed supplies (aka a bookshelf, a printer that has a scanner attached, and more colored pencils!).
  
Dad and I at the White Coat Ceremony  
During the ceremony they had us all read the physician's prayer which was pretty moving (even for me who is not particularly religious)...
"O God, Let my mind be ever clear and enlightened. 
BY the bedside of the patient, let no alien thought deflect it
Let everything that experience and scholarship have taught it
be present in it, and hinder it not in its tranquil work.  
For great and noble are those scientific judgments 
that serve the purpose of preserving 
the health and lives of Thy creatures.

Keep far from me, the delusion that I can accomplish all things.
Give me the strength, the will, and the opportunity
To amplify my knowledge, which yesterday
I would not have dreamt of,
For the Art is great, but the human mind presses untiringly.

In the patient, let me ever see only the man.
Thou all-Bountiful One, has chosen me 
to watch over the life and death of Thy Creatures.
I prepare myself now for my calling. 
Stand Thou by me in this great task, so that it may prosper.
For without Thine aid, man prospers not even in the smallest things."

No comments:

Post a Comment