Sunday, September 9, 2012

First week of classes



Survived the first week of classes!  And man was it a lot of material.  During orientation they had given us a pancake analogy (each day we are expected to eat three pancakes and all the pancakes have to be eaten before the mini.  If you don't eat all your pancakes for that day, they roll over to the next and eventually you will be stuck eating twenty pancakes...aka stay on your studying so you don't have to learn 10 lectures before the mini).  I have been following my study schedule and it has been extremely useful keeping me on track.  I have finished each lecture material the day that I get it and I am getting six hours of sleep each night. Getting sleep is really important for me because I turn into a grumpy person when I don't have sleep/coffee.

Right now the material is kind of a review from the stuff that I learned at Cornell but it has more clinical correlations.  I am in LOVE with the clinical correlations.  Generally they provide the little extra oomph that I need to get the lightbulb moment. Since I am able to spend so much time studying, (no distractions...everyone will be so proud of me!), I can actually get a solid grasp on the subject matter the first time I review it.

This week has made me realize that being in med school means that I am not going to have a life whatsoever. Last night I stayed up until 1:30, not because I was partying and getting schwasty, but because I was studying the superficial and deep back muscles (now that's a good time if I ever knew one lol). Any "extra" time that I have is either spent sleeping or it is spent talking to people back in the states.  I can say that all my amazing friends/family and their video chats have been the shining moments in the bleak hours of studying.

My study area...yay colored pencils making everything better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment