Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Typical Day

I figured I would write a post about my typical day so that everyone can get a feel for what a "day in the life of a med student" is like.  Be forewarned.....if you did not like the movie  Groundhog Day, you might not like this post.  My life strongly resembles this movie...take the below schedule and apply it to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with slight variations on Saturday/Sunday (aka no class on those days).

Here we go....

6am:  Wake up (sometimes I will snooze until 6:30/6:45 which means I don't have time to shower.  I know Megan and Claire used to absolutely love my habit of snoozing for an inordinate amount of time).

7am: Make my coffee, find something to eat for breakfast.  I strongly dislike breakfast so it is always  chore to find something to eat.  If I don't have anything, I am absolutely starving by the time I get done with classes for the day.

7:30am:  Trudge to class (generally it is already 80 degrees).  Sometimes I am lucky and the shuttle drivers take pity on me and pick me up.  One positive of the walk is that I have a gorgeous view of the rain forest covered mountains.

8am-Noon: Class.  Sometimes we get lucky and start at 9 or 10 but sometimes we go from 8am to 2pm.

Noon to 1:  Lunch/Nap in my hammock

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have either anatomy lab or just a lab demo.  If I have the actual lab, I can be in the lab until 5 or 6pm.

Once I am done with all my required parts of the day, its time to review the lectures and make a study product.  We are supposed to take between an hour and two hours to make the study product per each hour of lecture.  After making the product, you have to review material from past lectures and preview the next day's lectures.  So basically I am doing something academic almost every waking hour.  I don't let myself go to bed until I finish all the lecture material from that day (This hasn't caused any major problems.  I have been able to go to bed around midnight each night which is decent).

The weekends I have a little more free time because I am not getting any new information.  (This why I always video chat everyone on Saturday or Sunday!!)

So now you know my typical day.  I know you are all probably EXTREMELY jealous of my exciting life lol.  I just tell myself I am always chugging along to the goal of becoming an MD and that eventually I will accomplish my life-long goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment