Friday, September 21, 2012

Hypothetical Situation 1: What to do if you are chased by a bull

Today in my biochemistry class, my professor was entertaining us with a story from his nine years of living on Dominica. This is kind of how the story went....
"This one time I was walking home from campus on the lizard trail, when I came face-to-face with a giant bull.  And I made the mistake of making eye contact with the bull.  This set the bull off and it started chasing me.  My only option was to climb a tree, so I climbed a tree and waited until the bull ran off."
This had the entire class in absolute hysterics and I am sure many of us were thinking that this would never actually happen to in our lives.  But then, as I was leaving the Annex (where 1st semester students take their classes), I heard a giant MOOOOOO!!  I kept walking thinking that someone was just fooling around and being an idiot.  Then I heard it again....MOOOOO!!  I walk farther along the sidewalk and bam, there is a giant bull standing on the other side of a rain forest outcropping.  This bull had giant horns and thankfully was tied up.

Picture me as the guy in the tree.  Picture the tree a Palm tree.  Then you will have a picture of me running with the bulls in Dominica.  

However it got me thinking, what would I do if I got chased by a bull? First off I am going to avoid eye contact by all means possible. Second if a bull starts chasing me, I am going to run like hell to either a sturdy tree or to a nearby building and take shelter. Because in all honesty, there is no way I am going to use my "quick catlike reflexes" to jump aboard the bull and ride it like a professional bull rider would (even though this crossed my mind for a brief second). So in this hopefully hypothetical-only situation, I am going to find the nearest tree (ideally not a palm tree but instead one with lots of limbs and a thick trunk) and climb it!

If for some reason this happens, I can cross off one of the 1000 Things You Should Do Before You Die because I think running with the bulls is one of them.  While I know it is supposed to be in Italy, I figured running with the bulls in Dominica would be more than sufficient.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment