Friday, October 19, 2012

The Ants and the M&Ms

Before coming down here, I made a list of things that I would miss most.  Of course topping that list was coffee. A close second was peanut M&Ms.  So I packed both of these things.  The coffee I have been consistently drinking throughout my time here but the M&Ms I have been saving for a special occasion.  I figured my birthday was just the special occasion I had been waiting for (I had to exercise a lot of self-control to not eat them for the two months--I made it through multiple stressful study sessions, etc without eating them.  Such self-control!!!)

I opened the bag last night and I had a couple of them as a birthday-cake substitute.  I then closed the bag (or I thought I closed the bag) and put it back in the cupboard.  I went to have a couple more of them today and was met by a very nasty shock.  After eating some, I felt multiple crawling sensations on my arm.  I looked down and I had over 20 ants crawling on me.  I then looked in the M&M bag and almost shrieked. The bag was writhing with ants (......ok well maybe that is an exaggeration but there were a whole lot of ants in there, munching on my precious M&Ms.)  Just imagine that....you are about to eat something that you are super excited for, something that is a "hot commodity" and you discover it is covered in bugs.  Not a good feeling!
The "nomed" on M&M.  I guess they don't like peanuts because all the destroyed M&Ms where like this.  And  for the record...the M&Ms were in tact yesterday when I opened the bag, which means this is not a shipping injury.  It is an ant injury.  The black spots are where they started eating through at new spots. 

Needless to say, the ants have finally exacted their revenge for my ants traps and for my spraying bleach on their entrances to my apartment.  I had told my mom a couple of weeks ago that I had a nightmare in which the ants had grown into giants and had come to take their revenge on me.  I guess I should be thankful that the ants didn't grow in size and that they just ate my M&Ms.

Right now the tally is.....Rachael 1: Ants 1.  Who will come out victor?  That remains to be seen. I am building information against my enemy and so far have learned that ants like chocolate but don't particularly like peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment