Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Are you in the 14%?

Time for a fun science fact of the day.....

While studying the anatomy of the forearm and hand, I came across a nifty little muscle that I wanted to share with everyone.  It is called the "palmaris longus" and goes from your elbow region to your palm.  What I thought was really cool about this muscle is that around 14% of the population is missing it!!

There is an easy test to see if you have the muscle or not...
1.  take your thumb and pinki tips and bring them together
2.  flex your wrist slightly (move it towards your elbow)

If you have the muscle, you should see a little cord standing up in the middle of the inside of your wrist.  The reason why this happens is because the tendon that connects the palmaris longus muscle to where it inserts on the plam, does not go through the carpal tunnel.
That little cord thing in the middle means that you have this muscle.
 It turns out that I am one of the 14%! I don't have the palmaris longus muscle.  There aren't any negative affects associated with absence of this muscle, so no worries if you are like me and missing it!

3 comments:

  1. i don't have it either!!! is it genetic linked? or are we just super awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pain is so bad even to the touch
    Why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have it. I had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel and no one said anything. I still had considerate pain in the right arm anticubital area. My doctor ordered an MRI and discovered it then. The palmaris longus was pressing on the ulnar nerve in the cubital tunnel. I received a cortisone injection to see if the pain resolves. After many failed modalities for cervical pain, I received Sarapin injections yesterday....if they are successful I hope to have them in the elbow.

    ReplyDelete