Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Never Order Dominican Takeout

I wrote this last week but never got around to actually posting it.  Its my story of Dominican takeout and how I am never ordering it again.
**************
I have been so busy studying for the past week that I haven't had time to go to the grocery store. When I have gone, they have been pretty much out of all normal food.  No milk, no chicken breasts, no bread, no fresh vegetables, only weird canned tuna, "paw-paw" and "dasheen".  This resulted in today's very interesting food choices.

My day started off with the decision to try this canned "coffee milk" which a lot of the Dominicans use.  The can was written mostly in French with little tiny English writing.  It was on 69 cents (EC) so I decided it was worth a shot.  YUCK! Not good at all!   I put some in my coffee and it made everything taste slimey.  I looked at the can closer and saw that it was constituted skimmed milk with vegetable oil.  I had to wash it down the sink. So I wasted an entire pot of my Hazelnut coffee (my coffee maker only makes 3 cups at a time which fits in my mug).

For lunch I figured I would try the canned tuna fish I bought. It wasn't a brand I recognized but I figured it was canned tuna so it couldn't be that bad.  Just opening it up, I realized it wasn't going to be good.  The tuna was extremely dark and the texture was punky.  I still decided to give it a shot and mixed it up into a tuna salad.  One bite and I was done. Couldn't eat that one either.  

After exhausting the majority of my canned food options, I decided to try Dominican take-out for dinner.  My options were Chinese, Chinese, Chinese and some more Chinese.  There are no legitimate pizza places that I have heard of, definitely no Thai food, no burger/fry places, etc...just Chinese restaurants.  (I can't even dream of getting a salad or something with vegetables.)  I have heard from friends which places to avoid and which places serve eatable food.  I decided to go with the restaurant that I have heard the best reviews about.  I ordered General Tsos chicken because I figured that would be pretty hard to mess up, after all the places in mall food courts can serve a semi-eatable General Tsos.

My food arrived after an hour and half (faster than the two hours I expected).  I opened my chicken up and was confused at first.  It looked like they had sent me a container of maraschino cherries.  That's how pink the sauce was and how round the pieces of chicken were. I ate some of it.  It didn't taste terrible but it definitely was the strangest-tasting General Tsos chicken I have ever tried.  However, I soon realized it was a mistake to have eaten it.  Within two hours, I threw up.  Not so much fun!  Especially when I was trying to study for my exam.  So needless to say, I am never ordering Domincian Chinese takeout again.



No comments:

Post a Comment