Sunday, March 10, 2013

Conversations

With the ability to watch lectures at home and the lack of study space on campus, I have been spending the majority of my time studying at home.  I will occasionally leave to go the gym, my small group session and to the grocery store but the majority of time is spent with my books or computer. My classmates are all pretty much the same...studying at home and briefly come out for their errands and meetings. We all joke that we are dating our computers because we spend so much time on them (all our lectures notes, study products, practice questions are electronic). 

This past Friday, I had the opportunity to actually have a conversation with a fellow EMS member.  Sitting up all night and talking reminded me how much I missed EMS back home.  When you are stuck with someone for an extended period of time, especially if it is during the wee hours of the morning, you learn a lot about each other.  This is how the majority of my friendships in college where made--the long and sometimes very random conversations that take place at 3am. These are the friendships that are actually meaningful, the ones that are built on an initial conversation regarding shared interests, rather than a quick friending on Facebook and subsequent likings of statuses and profile pictures.  It was a refreshing break from the constant deluge of my electronic studying!  It also made me miss those Saturday nights back at Cornell spent talking with my fellow EMSers, waiting for the "drunkies" and sharing totally random stories. 

People often wonder why emergency responders are such a close-knit family.  I believe it is because we actually talk with each other.  We know each other and this knowledge builds the trust that is absolutely essential in an emergency situation. I think this is why I love emergency medicine so much, not just the adrenaline and unexpected nature of the field, but the people.  We are a unique subset who when the time comes, will support each unconditionally.  The adrenaline definitely doesn't hurt though!

***Sorry for the lack of humor in the post!  I will try to come up with a funny one after my next exam. Thanks to everyone who is reading my blog. I am almost at 2000 views!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment