Thursday, November 15, 2012

Med Student Hypochondriac Instance #1

I have this slight coffee addiction that sometimes means I am only living off of coffee.  Not such a good idea but generally I get away with it.  Today was a different story though! 

We are currently on the cardiovascular module and are learning about heart murmurs, abnormal heart sounds and other cardiovascular pathologies.  One of the things we had to do for our block grade was learn how to take a blood pressure and pulse.  Both of which I absolutely rocked, special thanks to my 4 years of EMS service.  What wasn't so great about the experience, was being used as an example of a tachycardia (that means my resting heart rate was above 100. It was only 110 but still not a good thing!).  

I had been feeling kinda out of it all day so I knew something was up. Of course since I was having heart palpitations and a fast heart rate, I jump to worst-case scenario mode and think that I have one of the obscure cardiac anomalies. I was almost to the point of going to the health clinic, which means I really was not feeling well. And then I realized.....I had not drunk any water for the past two-ish days!!! Due to my lovely studying and lack of sleep, I have only been drinking coffee! Which is unbelievably stupid, especially when you live in a place where the average temperature is 85 degrees.  I had gotten myself so dehydrated that it was affecting my heart.  

So after chugging 3 liters of water, I am back to normal.  No more heart palpitations, no more fast heart rate and no more thinking I have a rare congenital heart defect!  Major sigh of relief.  My new study plan is to drink a bottle of water for each lecture I am going through.  That should keep me decently hydrated. 

Lesson Learned:  Coffee does not equal water! Also that med students will all become hypochondriacs at some point during the med school process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment